Building an organic opt-in email list is tricky. Many people are reluctant to sign up for another mailing list when their inbox is already full of unread messages from companies they are not interested in. The best way to convince consumers to join your list is by answering the one question they are all asking: “What’s in it for me?”
Do not worry if you have not answered that question yet. Your company can offer plenty of incentives to consumers who are willing to give their email address.
Here are a few things you can offer:
1. An entry into a giveaway: Everyone loves getting free things. Many people will gladly give their email if it helps get them a nice prize.
2. An entry into a fun contest: Similarly, people love contests. A lot of people have a competitive spirit and will do anything to win something.
3. Club membership: Make your newsletter feel exclusive by offering a membership for a special group.
4. A free eBook: Plenty of websites give free e-books with great insider tips that can’t be found anywhere else.
5. A free audiobook: If an e-book isn’t your thing, try an audiobook. It makes for great listening on someone’s way to work.
6. Special discount on a product: Plenty of e-commerce sites give special deals in exchange for email addresses.
7. An exclusive “buy one get one free” offer: Here’s another idea for ecommerce websites. Everyone loves cheap deals.
8. Access to premium content: Do you have videos, articles, or other exclusive content? Let your subscribers in on the secret.
9. Downloadable pictures: Here’s an option for stock image websites. Access to high quality pictures is perfect for bloggers.
10. Personalized information such as analytics: What’s better than making something uniquely tailored? Personalization is a top notch marketing strategy.
11. A gift: Who wouldn’t want free stuff? It could be a physical or digital item. Use whatever you think works.
12. A free sample product: Some companies, such as ones that print custom swag, often give new customers sample products. This helps entice people into buying more goods.
13. Useful information: What does your blog or site offer that people want to know? Weekly knowledge updates can help propel your reader’s life.
14. A small amount of money in their account: This option isn’t quite as popular as the others, but it sure will convince people.
15. A chance to invite friends: Much like social media, everything’s better with friends. Maybe you can even give referral bonuses.
16. A chance for users to find out which friends are on the website: This is the best option for social networking sites or even dating sites. It offers a sense of mystery for new users too.
17. Free delivery: Everyone hates paying expensive shipping fees. Free shipping is a perk that will surely win new customers.
18. Access to an online course: Websites like Udemy are popular for a good reason. It’s great to learn new things as often as possible.
19. Access to a webinar: A webinar is often more interactive and exclusive than an online course.
20. A how-to video: Readers will subscribe if they have the chance to learn something new. A how-to video is the best option.
21. A useful case study: Knowledge is power. Case studies are exclusive and contain useful information.
22. A solution to a customer’s problem: Solving a problem is the best way to make a happy customer. People will give all sorts of royalties for a good answer.
23. A free trial: What’s this exclusive service you offer? Give new customers a chance to experience it for themselves.
24. An informative cheat sheet: Boiling down complicated information into a pretty infographic is sure to appeal to people. It’s so helpful to have something to quickly reference when in need.
25. A feedback survey: Customers love giving their opinion. Use these surveys to help shape future content.
With inboxes so cluttered, it’s hard to convince newcomers to sign up for your newsletter. However, finding the best way to appeal to customers will surely help build up a loyal following. Feel free to experiment with as many options as you’d like. Find out which works best for you and your audience.